COMPANY SECRETARIAL SERVICES
Stay on top of your compliance requirements with the support of an expert company secretary
Company secretarial functions continue to grow in scope, making it vitally important that your business stays across its requirements. Failure to satisfy your statutory obligations may have serious legal, reputational and financial consequences.
With the support of a skilled company secretary, you can have total confidence that your business is meeting all its compliance requirements.
Industry-leading corporate secretarial services
BoardRoom’s dedicated team offers company secretarial services for businesses of all sizes throughout Hong Kong and the Asia-Pacific region. Whether you want to incorporate your new enterprise or ensure you’re meeting all your secretarial statutory obligations, our comprehensive corporate secretarial services team can help your business thrive.
With a strong 50-year history, BoardRoom is known as one of the most reliable and skilled company secretary service providers in Hong Kong and throughout the wider Asia-Pacific region.
Companies of all sizes benefit from our skilled team’s expertise in handling corporate compliance on both a local and global level.
Local, regional and international advice
Outsourcing your corporate secretarial and other administrative functions like Accounting and Tax to our expert team has many benefits for your business. In addition to providing advice on the local Hong Kong regulatory system, our team understands the different cultures, traditions and customs you will need to navigate local and cross-border operations.
Our company secretarial team will work closely with your legal and compliance agent to ensure a seamless operating process.
Is outsourcing my corporate secretarial services a good move?
As with similar business functions, accounting and tax, the complexities of corporate secretarial requirements are numerous. Businesses need to be ready to respond to frequent changes in corporate rules and regulations as they occur.
When you work with the BoardRoom team in Hong Kong and across Asia-Pacific, you will be able to:
Maintain local and cross-border compliance
Access our team of professionals with specialist knowledge across multiple Asia-Pacific jurisdictions.
Streamline your operations
Benefit from an extensive range of corporate services with a single point of contact.
Reduce administrative burden and overheads
Free up your resources to focus on growth and profitability instead of corporate compliance.
Choosing BoardRoom for your company secretarial services
We provide high-quality corporate secretarial services for businesses large and small, including companies that are expanding globally. Grow your business with our professional team by your side and ensure premium service delivery for your clients.
01 Corporate secretarial assistance
By providing a full suite of company secretarial services, our knowledgeable team can ensure your business complies with local secretarial Hong Kong rules and regulations.
We can help with:
02 Corporate Governance and secretarial compliance services
Ensure your entity or entities adheres to best practice corporate governance and compliance with all relevant corporate regulations in Hong Kong and across the Asia-Pacific region.
We can help with:
- Yearly statutory filing for compliance with relevant laws and regulations
- Updating and safely storing statutory registers, minute books and company records
- Board meeting management
- Shareholders’ meeting management
- Advising and preparing documentation to facilitate corporate restructuring and corporate actions such as change of directors, secretaries, allotment of shares, transfer of shares, change of company name, alteration of articles, reduction of capital, etc.
03 Corporate Governance and secretarial services to listed issuers
Support listed issuers in corporate governance matters and compliance with Hong Kong Listing Rules and other applicable rules and regulations.
We can help with:
- Acting as named company secretary or joint company secretaries
- Acting as authorised representative or alternate authorised representative under Listing Rules
- Advising and assisting in setting up of corporate governance framework such as developing the related policies, processes or mechanism and assistance in publication of corporate governance report.
- Advising and assisting in publication of annual and interim results and reports
- Board and committee meetings management
- Shareholders’ meeting management
- Statutory filing with Hong Kong Companies Registry and notification to Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- Advising and assisting in corporate action
04 Company cessation and business liquidation services
Closing off your business is never an easy decision to make, but BoardRoom helps make the technical process a little smoother, providing guidance and support to assist you in managing all aspects of a business closure.
We can help with:
BoardRoom is here to help
Because we help take your business further, faster, at all stages
Engaging the services of a reliable company secretary in Hong Kong can ensure you comply with local laws and regulations while also:
- lowering costs;
- reducing risk; and
- increasing potential profitability.
BoardRoom has a 50-year history of helping businesses succeed, making our team one of the most highly respected company secretaries in Hong Kong.
We are proud of our global partnerships offering premium services to both large organisations and private companies in Hong Kong. Our extensive local expertise and established regulatory and government relationships throughout the Asia-Pacific region make us a partner of choice.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What are corporate secretarial services?
Corporate secretarial services encompass a wide range of categories from business incorporation and registration of new companies to the development of company constitutions, amendments, and AGM/EGM resolutions which fall under the scope and duties of a company secretary. Put simply, corporate secretarial services help keep your company in compliance with local regulations and corporate compliance matters.
2. What are the advantages of outsourcing your company secretarial services?
The advantages of outsourcing your company secretarial services are twofold. For smaller business in Hong Kong who may not need a full-time in-house company secretary, outsourcing the role allows them to maintain compliance and keep abreast of any developments at a lower cost whilst maintaining a professional standard. For larger companies, outsourcing company secretarial services allows them to streamline their processes. Enlisting help from professionals like BoardRoom can provide practical solutions and guarantee the highest standards of corporate compliance. This can greatly save on labour and time costs, allowing you to focus on other core aspects of your business.
3. What are the duties of a company secretary?
A company secretary is usually appointed by your company’s board of directors. They are responsible for ensuring that the company stays compliant with any relevant statutory obligations and corporate governance guidelines.
Your company secretary should be in charge of:
- maintaining statutory books and records
- safekeeping legal documents
- organising the necessary meetings between directors and shareholders of the company
- lodging and filing all the corporate documents required by law
- ensuring that the company meets its statutory and regulatory obligations
4. Is it mandatory to appoint a company secretary?
In Hong Kong, every company is required to appoint a company secretary. The appointed company secretary must reside in Hong Kong, while the company must also have a registered office or principal place of business in Hong Kong. A director of the company may also take up the role of a company secretary, unless he/she is the sole director. In this case, companies will usually engage the corporate secretarial services of a corporate service provider like BoardRoom.
5. What are the benefits of having a company secretary?
Having a company secretary keeps you compliant and in line with legal requirements in Hong Kong. Without proper corporate secretarial services, companies suffer from compliance issues and potential corporate actions which may cause problems later down the line. Having a dedicated company secretary can help listed and non-listed companies in Hong Kong stay compliant with the latest company statutory regulations and the Hong Kong listing rules.
6. How to set up or incorporate a company in Hong Kong?
Incorporating a company in Hong Kong can be a simple and straightforward process, but will depend on your company’s specifics, structure, and intention.
Here are the major steps you should follow:
- Choose the company name and type, including the legal structure, share structure, and more.
- Appoint director(s), a company secretary, and other key personnel
- Get a registered office address
- Open a company bank account
- Deliver your application, including the incorporation form, a copy of the company’s articles of association, and a notice to the Business Registration Office
- Collect all the necessary company certificates
- Obtain the necessary business permits and licenses
- Organise company insurance and the employee MPF scheme
- Create a company constitution
Many businesses in Hong Kong prefer to outsource this list of tasks to professionals like BoardRoom who can guarantee compliance while you focus on starting your business.
7. How much does it cost to register a company in Hong Kong?
The cost of registering a company in Hong Kong can differ depending on the type of business registration and corporate secretarial services required. Mandatory fees include The Hong Kong Government incorporation fee of HK$1,545, if filled out online, or HK$ 1,720 if in hard copy respectively. For a business registration certificate, businesses are required to pay HK$250 for a 1-year certificate validity, or HK$3,950 for a 3-year certificate validity.
There may be other professional services fees to consider if you are engaging a corporate services provider. This may include company secretary service, application of relocation visas or applying for business licenses and more. Please contact BoardRoom’s incorporation experts for more information on the cost of registering and setting up a company in Hong Kong.
8. Can foreigners start a business in Hong Kong?
Foreigners are more than welcome to start a business in Hong Kong. You can be the sole director and shareholder of a company in Hong Kong even if you are not a local resident, as there are no local resident requirements. Hong Kong also makes it easy for foreigners to start and operate an offshore business in Hong Kong from abroad. BoardRoom offers professional assistance with company formation, corporate secretarial services, and more to make this a smoother journey.
9. What is a Nominee Director in Hong Kong?
In Hong Kong, companies must declare the identity of their directors and shareholders. A nominee director is a non-executive director appointed to protect the identity of the true company director should they wish to remain anonymous, and will represent the company on their behalf. BoardRoom can provide nominee director services in Hong Kong. Get in touch with us to find out more.
10. How to close off or deregister a company in Hong Kong?
If you need to close a business, you cannot simply stop filling out your annual filings – you must close off your business in a legal manner. The Hong Kong Companies Registry has the power to deregister a company, should the business not be in operation or carrying out business anymore.
To apply for closing off a business in Hong Kong, you must:
- Apply for a ‘Notice of No Objection’, as all members of the organization must agree to the dissolution
- Submit a completed application to the Companies Registry for processing.
Get in touch with us for more information and help with closing off a company in Hong Kong.
11. How can BoardRoom help in corporate secretarial services?
Company secretary work can be a huge administrative burden on your company. Outsourcing that work to BoardRoom can help alleviate this work, allowing you to focus on your business’s core competencies. We will work together with your other advisors to keep your business compliant while offering sound and practical advice.
As market leaders, we have streamlined our processes to be as efficient as possible for all our clients, resulting in a quick and seamless service when it comes to preparing and organising corporate documents. If you would like to know more about how BoardRoom can assist, get in touch with one of our specialists today.