COMPANY INCORPORATION SERVICES IN MALAYSIA
Setting up a company in Malaysia is a quick and easy process when you engage our end-to-end company formation services
Many entrepreneurs and prospective business owners are choosing to branch into Malaysia for its promising growth prospects. Malaysia is a global economic powerhouse and received an outstanding score of 12 from the World Bank in 2019 for ease of doing business. In contrast to other countries, Malaysia allows for 100% foreign ownership, which means overseas investors can maintain total control over their entity.
Many entrepreneurs and prospective business owners are choosing to branch into Malaysia for its promising growth prospects. BoardRoom Malaysia’s comprehensive company formation services help set you up for success by ensuring your new business complies with local regulations from the very beginning.
Professional company formation support
Setting up a company in Malaysia is an important milestone for any growing business. However, numerous tasks and regulatory requirements are involved in the formation and incorporation of a company, making it challenging to accomplish without professional assistance.
At BoardRoom, we take the stress out of incorporating or setting up a company in Malaysia by handling the entire process for you. Our expert team has intimate knowledge of the local business landscape, ensuring you will receive quality, tailored advice at every step.
We guarantee your new entity will be fully compliant with local rules and regulations. Being a full-service firm, BoardRoom can also guide you on the best company structure to adopt to take advantage of tax breaks and growth opportunities, so you can minimise the cost of incorporating a company and devote your time to establishing a solid presence in the region.
Why incorporate a company in Malaysia?
A high-growth country, Malaysia presents many valuable business opportunities for ambitious leaders and aspiring business owners – especially those looking to expand throughout the Asia-Pacific (APAC) region.
Reasons for setting up a company in Malaysia:
- Entities in major industries can be 100% foreign owned.
- English is widely spoken in corporate settings, making it easier for foreigners to run a business.
- The eligibility requirements for incorporation are minimal for foreign investors.
- Foreign investors enjoy a low corporate tax rate (companies with paid-up capital less than RM 2.5 million are taxed 17% for the first RM 600,000 and 24% for anything thereafter).
- The Malaysian government introduces a series of tax exemptions yearly, which can be beneficial, depending on the nature of your business.
- There is strong government support for foreign investment, with a range of attractive policies in place to support businesses.
We carefully tailor our advice and services during the company formation process to ensure your new entity maximises every benefit available and reduces the cost of incorporating a company.
Steps to incorporate a company in Malaysia
To successfully register and set up your company in Malaysia, there are several steps you will need to complete in accordance with the Malaysian Companies Act. BoardRoom’s incorporation team can assist with all of the below steps:
- Apply to the Companies Commission of Malaysia – Suruhanjaya Syarikat Malaysia (SSM) with your proposed company name, proposed company type, proposed business type, registered business address, details of directors, declaration of compliance forms, prescribed fees, and other relevant information
- Get approval from CCM to reserve your company name
- Prepare and submit all necessary registration documents for application
- Document signing by directors, shareholders, and beneficial owners
- Company proceeds to incorporation stage with CCM
- Certificate of Incorporation is issued by CCM
- Appoint a company secretary within 30 days of business incorporation
What are the benefits of using company incorporation services?
A notable benefit of engaging end-to-end company formation services is the pre-incorporation advice you receive. Providers can explain in detail the various business structures available and their requirements, restrictions and advantages. This information empowers you to make an informed decision about which structure will best suit your needs to meet your company’s strategic objectives.
A skilled team, specialising in the formation and incorporation of a company, can also help you leverage government tax incentives, such as those offered by the Malaysian Investment Development Authority (MIDA).
By engaging professional company incorporation services in Malaysia, you will be able to:
Maintain regulatory compliance
Navigating the Malaysian regulatory system can be challenging. A specialist team has the expertise to ensure your company satisfies all local requirements during the incorporation phase and beyond.
Streamline the incorporation process
Company incorporation experts have the skills, knowledge and partner connections to fast-track the incorporation process and circumvent potential issues, so you can start doing business in Malaysia sooner.
Receive personalised advice
Setting up a company in Malaysia can be difficult if you are new to the region or have never registered a business before. Having a specialist team on hand means you will receive prompt advice and accurate answers to all your questions.
BoardRoom Malaysia’s company formation services
The incorporation process for setting up a company in Malaysia differs depending on your business type.
The most common business entities for overseas investors are private limited companies (known as Sendirian Berhad, or Sdn Bhd), foreign branches and representative offices. Our teams have a wealth of experience with these company types but are also adept at setting up not-for-profit organisations and companies limited by guarantee.
Whatever your business goals are, our incorporation specialists are ready to help.
01 Choosing the right company structure
We will advise and help you choose the best business structure for your situation.
Key considerations for choosing a business type include:
02 Company setup in Malaysia
When setting up a company in Malaysia, there are specific steps you must take in line with the Malaysian Companies Act. Our incorporation team is well versed in the local legislation, so your company will be up and running with minimal delay.
For new private limited companies, we can help you:
- Apply to SSM for the use of your proposed company name;
- Respond to queries from SSM, if received;
- Receive approval from SSM for reservation of the company name, which is held for 30 days from the approval date;
- Submit application documents for registration of the company, including preparing photocopies and director/shareholder details;
- Handle any queries from SSM, if received;
- Receive approval from SSM;
- Obtain a Notice of Registration, if required.
We can also help you:
- Apply for necessary permits, licenses and certificates;
- Adopt a company constitution and corporate governance framework;
- Appoint a director and company secretary.
The maximum time it takes to form an entity in Malaysia is usually about two weeks, bar any queries from the CCM and documentation delays.
If you are establishing a representative office, we can help you obtain swift incorporation approval through MIDA.
03 Support after incorporation
After the formation and incorporation of your company, you must comply with regulatory requirements pertaining to its operation. Your obligations under the Malaysian Companies Act can be challenging to interpret, which is where the advice of an expert can be invaluable.
We can help you:
Our close working relationships with local financial institutions and extensive experience in document preparation enable us to act as an effective conduit between your business and your bank.
Why Choose BoardRoom?
Because we help take your business further, faster, at all stages
For more than 50 years, BoardRoom has been helping businesses achieve their goals throughout the company lifecycle. Due to our unmatched dedication to customer care, we have become the partner of choice for many Fortune 500 multinational companies, public firms and privately owned enterprises.
We take a holistic approach to business support, providing a full suite of corporate services that can be combined for comprehensive assistance at every stage of your growth journey.
In addition to company formation and incorporation services, our range of services in Malaysia include:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How do I incorporate and register a company in Malaysia?
Setting up a company in Malaysia can be a simple or complex task, depending on the structure of your company and whether you get professional assistance along the way.
Some of the things you must do when incorporating and registering a business in Malaysia include:
- Choosing the company type, name, business activities and structure
- Appointing a director and company secretary
- Minimum paid-up capital of RM1 only
- Minimum of one director who is at least 18 years of age and residing in Malaysia
- Open a company bank account
- Obtain all necessary permits, licenses, and certifications
- Adopt a company constitution
Many of these tasks can be time consuming and troublesome, especially when you have a business to get off the ground. Working with professionals like BoardRoom will take care of the registration so that you can devote your time to strategic planning, marketing, operations and financing.
2. How much does it cost to set up a company in Malaysia?
The cost of setting up a company in Malaysia will depend on the type of business you intend to run, and how many other additional matters you need to consider. The Companies Commission of Malaysia (SSM) has a table of fees that can be found here. There may be other fees to consider when setting up a company in Malaysia, such as professional services like company secretaries, relocation visas and more.
Get in touch with BoardRoom’s incorporation experts for a full array of services and more information regarding your specific case.
3. How long does it take to incorporate a company in Malaysia?
The company registration process in Malaysia takes between 5 – 10 working days, but this can be impacted by a few different factors including:
- Choosing your company name
- Registering your company name with the Companies Commission of Malaysia (SSM)
- Opening a corporate bank account in Malaysia
BoardRoom has a team of experts who are well-versed in the processes and procedures of setting up and incorporating companies of all sizes in Malaysia. Working with Boardroom will help you circumvent many issues and help you start your business off strong.
4. Can a foreigner set up a company in Malaysia?
Yes, however the Companies Commission of Malaysia (SSM) dictates that foreigners can only set up a Private Limited by Shares company – in Malaysia, this is known as Sendirian Berhad (Sdn Bhd).
5. What are company incorporation services?
Company incorporation services grant your organisation access to a team of professionals that can alleviate the stresses of registering and setting up your business. This assistance can effectively reduce time and effort required to set up your company, as well as provide expert advice and guidance on how to successfully incorporate your business in the quickest, most compliant way possible.
6. Why choose BoardRoom as your preferred company incorporation services provider?
Setting up a company in Malaysia can be a challenging and time-consuming process. BoardRoom’s team of company registration specialists can help you navigate through these problems with ease and ensure your business formation procedure is convenient and seamless. BoardRoom has in-depth knowledge of incorporating companies in Malaysia that abide by the country’s legal and regulatory requirements. Our proven track record includes assisting and advising many Fortune 500 multinational corporations as well as publicly listed and privately owned enterprises.
For more information regarding BoardRoom’s company formation and registration services in Malaysia, feel free to get in touch with us.